Consider the following sentence:
One of the items that needed a further development was a research on child nodes of a story representing its sub categories being updated the moment the list of sub categories is changed through edit page for stories.
The part from the beginning of the sentence to the word "research" is more or less clear. And then I would like to clarify what the research was about. Other facts that you might need:
- The research is complete.
- Child nodes represents sub categories of a story.
- The research was investigating a possibility of establishing the update mechanism.
- The mechanism is designated to update child nodes.
- The update must take place every time when the list of sub categories is changed.
Now to the questions themselves:
- Is my usage of passive voice (being updated) to describe what this research was about correct?
- What other options (all you can think of) are possible? How do they change the meaning?
If you are going to suggest to split this sentence into several, see the question How to rephrase a sentence?