English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a commonly accepted abbreviation with regard to stock quantity of (countable) products?

As in: "200 units" of sth, just shorter.

I've come across the form "200 pc.", but as it's coming from a non-native speaker and I haven't seen it before, I can't help having some doubts. Is this form correct?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, "pc." in that context is an abbreviation of "piece" or "pieces" and it's very common, and perfectly correct. Regarding the most correct abbreviation, that's probably something that's up for debate (alternatives could include "200 x" and I've also seen "200 per") but "200 pc" is as good as any and probably more common, from my own experience at least.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for clearing that up! – Morawski Oct 4 '11 at 11:04

200 pc (or 200 pcs) is fine if those likely to read it will understand it, but as it's not much shorter than 200 units, there doesn't seem to be much reason for using it.

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Mar 1 '15 at 18:39

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.