English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On the sides of most highways (in the U.S. at least), there are rough treads just outside the travel lanes to snap a driver to attention if the vehicle is drifting off the road. Is there a name for these things?

EDIT (post-answer for clarification, needed the answer to find the picture)
From the U.S. Department of Transportation's webpage:

rumble strips

share|improve this question
I call them wake-up bumps. As you drive over them, they make a heartbeat sort of sound, or as I hear it, 'wake up, wake up'. – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 May 4 '12 at 1:39
I've always grown up calling them "Growlers" its always sounded like the car growls. – user88828 Aug 20 '14 at 18:34
It should be noted that there are several different variations. The pictured strip is created by grinding away the pavement, with depressions about a foot apart and maybe an inch or two deep. There are others that consist of raised asphalt bumps, usually farther apart, and I've heard of schemes using paint or perhaps glue-on plastic grids which produce a "tone" when driven on. I've mostly seen the above scheme in the US Midwest, and it is generally called a "rumble strip". – Hot Licks Dec 25 '14 at 3:33
up vote 27 down vote accepted

Those are called rumble strips.

share|improve this answer
Wow. How simple. Now I realize I have definitely seen/heard the phrase before. – yoozer8 Oct 3 '11 at 18:47
Also (at least in some regions) "Wakeup strips" or "Wakeup bumps". – mickeyf Oct 3 '11 at 22:38
Yeah, when they first started to appear maybe 1980 they were called several things (which I forget), but they are by now pretty much universally "rumble strips" in at least the US Midwest. – Hot Licks Dec 25 '14 at 3:29

There's another variant here in Australia (and NZ, and I'm sure in other places too), which is a set of raised paint lines on the road which will give you a rumbling sound as you drive over them. The same technique is used in transition areas from high to low speed (like a highway exit) or where two lanes of high-speed traffic will be merging, that kinda thing where you want people to be awake.

A sample can be seen here, clearly showing the raised paint goop.

They're called, logically enough, 'audible lines', and are best defined as:

...a line on a road that is made up of a series of closely spaced raised pieces of material designed to create a continuous noise or vibration if driven on by a motor vehicle

(Reg 323A, New South Wales Road Rules 2008)

share|improve this answer
And yes, I'm off to edit Wikipedia to insert that reference too in a moment :) – tanantish Apr 26 '12 at 22:41

In Pennsylvania they are called SNAPs by PennDot, which stands for sonic nap alert patterns.

share|improve this answer

They are called SNAPs: Sonic Noise Alert Pattern.

share|improve this answer
What's your source for this answer? In some quick googling, I found this acronym expanded as Sonic Nap Alert Pattern, so it seems there is some confusion. – Marthaª Apr 26 '12 at 22:23
"Sonic noise" does seem a bit redundant. – Hot Licks Dec 25 '14 at 3:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.