English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I came upon this letter when reading a book, I couldn't find its name on the internet, you can imagine how hard it is to search about it.

What is the name of the letter that follows "sample space"?


I know it's not really an English question, but I think this site is best fit for the question than say, the mathematics site.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by simchona, Matt E. Эллен, aedia λ, Mr. Shiny and New 安宇, kiamlaluno Oct 3 '11 at 18:58

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I'm not quite sure this belongs here. I think math.SE would be able to give a better answer. – simchona Oct 2 '11 at 16:25
@simchona: probably tex.SE would be better. – Neil G Oct 2 '11 at 17:56
It's also used in the popular Finnish licorice brand, "Sisu" or "Guts": fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu_%28pastilli%29 Note the lowercase s in the same font--looks like an f. – user13546 Oct 2 '11 at 20:25
And of course a lowercase s at the end of a word looks more like a modern s ... – GEdgar Oct 2 '11 at 22:16
@NeilG Actually, GraphicsDesign.SE does font identifications, providing you check Dextify-like sites first. :) – Mateen Ulhaq Oct 3 '11 at 4:36
up vote 54 down vote accepted

It's an S written in a fraktur font used by mathematicians. This one is easy to find out using Detexify.

share|improve this answer
wow, great site! – Mark Oct 2 '11 at 10:19
Can't vote you up. Thanks for the awesome website – Ammar Alammar Oct 2 '11 at 12:01
@AmmarAbdulaziz: You can, now – genesis Oct 2 '11 at 14:55
It's an S. For some reason my browser won't render the bolded S :(. – Sverre Rabbelier Oct 3 '11 at 7:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.