English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Which one is correct and what is the difference?

Majoring in Information Technology, xxx University

Major in Information Technology, xxx University

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The first is a description. For example, if you are a current student you would say:

I am majoring in IT.

If you have already received your major, you might say:

I have a major in IT.

This distinction works on resumes as well. As a current student, you are still majoring in something. If you have graduated, you already have a major in something.

share|improve this answer
For what it's worth, people in the US who have already graduated generally say "I majored in..." rather than "I have a major in..." When people talk about what degrees they've attained, I more often hear "I have a BA/BS/MA/degree in..." – onomatomaniak Oct 1 '11 at 10:53
@onomatomaniak So, what should i use on resume. – Sarawut Positwinyu Oct 1 '11 at 13:25
@SarawutPositwinyu On a resume, I would say name the specific type of degree, e.g. "BA in [subject]" – onomatomaniak Oct 1 '11 at 14:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.