English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For a long time I've been using a word 'toggle' to express change of states (normally button). Now I found out on Dictionary.com / toggle that toggle has such meaning in an informal language as a verb. Which would be the correct word to express verb for 'change state'?

share|improve this question
Welcome to EL&U! This question is too basic and is likely to be closed; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information. For example: synonyms.net/synonym/toggle – Hugo Sep 29 '11 at 9:01
@Hugo : this is a good question becuase Arturs has been misled by an internet reference. – cindi Sep 29 '11 at 9:08
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Dictionary.com is misleading here. Toggle is the correct technical term. Perhaps they mean it is "informal' to use this technical term in a non-technical context.

cf merraim webster's defintion

share|improve this answer
Thanks & thanks for the resource link, I liked it and will definitely use it much during mastering English – Arturs Licis Sep 29 '11 at 9:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.