English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word to describe the person who said a quote?

share|improve this question
Most times, we just call them source. – Kris Apr 28 '12 at 9:09
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I would use originator. The online Merriam-Webster dictionary also lists quotee.

share|improve this answer
+1. I was expecting a more specific word, though. – Kris Apr 28 '12 at 9:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.