English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I’m wondering if there is single term to indicate that a child is a twin, triplet, quadruplet, etc., without specifying the exact number of siblings in the multiple birth. For example, a “multiple-birth child”.

share|improve this question

From various websites like sjmoms.com, it looks like the term multiples is commonly used for twins, triplets, etc. So I assume one of the multiples could simply be called a multiple.

share|improve this answer
+1. Wikipedia writes here that the reciprocal single birth is a "singleton" – simchona Sep 27 '11 at 4:16
+1 And I wrote the same thing here. – Daniel Sep 28 '11 at 0:31
Thank you for your help. I've heard it abbreviated to 'multy/multies' too. In context I think that works, but without introducing your subject I think the term multiple would be too general. However, that is probably the best we can do. It's not a subject that arises often in my world, so if it does the context will probably already be clear. Thanks again. – Terry Sep 28 '11 at 23:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.