English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I usually see "I have extensive experience" or "I have broader experience" in resume. I want to know an alternative way to express that "I have much experience and great knowledge in something"

share|improve this question
Extensive is the way to go. "I have extensive experience in X" – Jeremy Sep 26 '11 at 16:28
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I usually say "extensive knowledge" about something, but you could also say "comprehensive" knowledge or experience, or perhaps "considerable" experience or knowledge.

It also helps to know the subject at hand, because there are certain descriptive words that can be used within different industries that signify your knowledge and understanding.

share|improve this answer

Expert? Expertise?

Though as I've understood from employers, these are fluff words that should be used sparingly; you should describe what you've done as opposed to what you think it makes you.

share|improve this answer

According to LinkedIn data, the term extensive experience comes first in the top ten overused words in résumés across the United States:

  1. extensive experience 2. innovative 3. motivated 4. results-oriented 5. dynamic 6. proven track record 7. team player 8. fast-pacer 9. problem solver 10. entrepreneurial

said Lindsey Pollak, a career and workplace expert. “If you’re using any of these 10 terms, wipe them out. Instead, note that you have eight to ten years of experience or that you increased sales by 300 percent. Include meaningful phrases that apply specifically to highlights you’ve achieved in your career.”

Google Ngram set on the American English Corpus confirms this trend. The following expressions are: broad experience (blue line); extensive experience (red line); considerable experience (green line) and a lot of experience (yellow).

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.