English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Madam is the word to call a woman with respect. Of course it has another meaning. Is there another word used to call a woman with respect?

share|improve this question
"Madam" is only vulgar if you call someone a madam. See here for some discussion. – simchona Sep 25 '11 at 5:23
Have you tried looking up synonyms in a thesaurus or dictionary? – Hugo Sep 25 '11 at 7:50
Madam vs. Ma'am – Callithumpian Sep 26 '11 at 1:58
In general, the use of a formal term of respect carries a high risk of being seen as sarcastic in any circumstances where that level of formality isn't more-or-less demanded. – Karl Knechtel Sep 26 '11 at 8:39
up vote 2 down vote accepted

There's dame, ma'am, lady, or noblewoman. Unfortunately, most of these are reserved titles for royalty. The one I find the most commonly used is ma'am (which is short for madam), although this too is a term used in Britain to address the queen or a royal princess according to Dictionary.com.

share|improve this answer

To some extent it also depends upon the context. @Bill provides helpful examples pertaining to royalty.

You can also use Miss, Ms, Mrs. suffixed by first or last name depending upon her position relative to the speaker.

This link may help.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.