English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Think of a sugar dispenser. It provides an equal "dose" of sugar every time you push its button.

In my native language, Bulgarian, we have a specific word for this kind of object. The literal "translation" of it would be "dosator"/"dosager". The general word 'dispenser' doesn't capture the fact that the dose is equal each time. So is there a precise word for this?

(I needed that kind of word for a metaphor in a class name in a computer program I'm writing)

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The word “dispenser” does connote that the amount dispensed is measured and consistent. I think it may, in fact, be the word you’re looking for.

It probably doesn’t carry that meaning as strongly as your original word, but I don’t know of another English word that would serve that purpose any better.

share|improve this answer

How about regulator, per Wiktionary:

A device that controls or limits something.

share|improve this answer

I can come up with a few: Doser... Meter (from the verb "to mete", but might be too confused with the measurement).

I think Dispenser is accurate, actually. They usually dispense one unit of stuff at a time, e.g. one pill. Is there another word in Bulgarian for dispenser vs. "dosator"?

share|improve this answer
My dictionary does list "doser" as the noun version, but gives no definition, so it isn't clear to me whether it is a person or a device (or both). I had never heard of that before, so it may be unfamiliar to many people. I agree that "dispenser" is probably the best choice. – Jeffrey L Whitledge Oct 22 '10 at 21:02

My OED lists two definitions for dispenser: 1 a person or thing that dispenses something (e.g. medicine, good advice. and 2 an automatic machine that that dispenses an item or a specific amount of something (e.g. cash).

So I think "dispenser" might be the word you're looking for, although I understand your reservations.

share|improve this answer

Perhaps injector is the word you are looking for. I suspect it would depend on what is being administered and in what way, though.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.