English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For example, if I were to connect to a service with the following address:

Is there a word for this type of address? I suppose I could call it just a generic address but I was wondering if there was a word for this specific type of connection..

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by simchona, Marthaª, Mitch, T.E.D., PLL Oct 3 '11 at 16:03

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I think you would have found this a better fit for a more coding- or networking-related SE – simchona Sep 22 '11 at 4:17
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It is called "Authority". Please check the image below:

enter image description here

This picture has been taken from C# 4.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference Joseph Albahari

share|improve this answer
Oh wow thank you! – Brittainy Roberts Sep 22 '11 at 3:26
It should be noted that this is a highly technical term and this specific meaning is only known in a technical context (granted: so are "host" and "port", but they are slightly more well-known). – Joachim Sauer Oct 3 '11 at 11:55
+1, but pls provide references – Unreason Oct 3 '11 at 13:39
@Unreason: the URI syntax (parts of which are visualized here) is defined in RFC 2396. Actually, reading that RFC, it becomes clear that the Authority contains the user information (i.e. username + password, if they are encoded in the URI). That means the image above is wrong. – Joachim Sauer Oct 3 '11 at 13:57
This term only works in the context of a URI. If you are just looking for the name of for example a UDP address/port combo, nobody will know what you are talking about. – T.E.D. Oct 3 '11 at 14:42

Is this any different from a socket address?


share|improve this answer

The correct answer is socket per the TCP/IP specification (RFC 793).

To allow for many processes within a single Host to use TCP communication facilities simultaneously, the TCP provides a set of addresses or ports within each host. Concatenated with the network and host addresses from the internet communication layer, this forms a socket.


share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.