Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is in very common use on the internet. I just read this:

"[The] hotel employee walks in, I say "uh, puppy" and she just NOPEd the [heck] out of the room."

This is often done by adding 'd to the word.

They verbed it. –  andyortlieb Sep 21 '11 at 17:05
possible duplicate of Can “duct tape” be used as a verb? –  FumbleFingers Mar 7 '12 at 0:33

5 Answers 5

up vote 12 down vote accepted

I think the term you are looking for is "verbification":

Verbification, or verbing, is the creation of a verb from a noun, adjective or other word. Verbification is a type of functional shift. It is also a form of derivation, and may involve any of the various derivational processes.

This is a process of conversion of a word to include more word-classes for the lexicon.
This applies to any non-verb, even "proper nouns":

Proper nouns can also be verbed in the English language. "Google" is the name of a popular internet search engine. To google something now means to look it up on the internet, as in "He didn't know the answer, so he googled it."

That's a favourite, "google" is.

I'm kind of disappointed that it's such a straight-forward term. Oh well, perfect answer. –  Jeremy Sep 21 '11 at 4:27
@Jeremy, the truth hurts :) –  Thursagen Sep 21 '11 at 4:30
+1 for Google as the prime example. You could have just told him to google it, and see if he caught the reference. –  JeffSahol Sep 21 '11 at 4:41
"Verbing weirds language." is my personal favorite. –  Joachim Sauer Sep 21 '11 at 7:13

As others have said, "verbification" is common. The highfalutin Greek name of the more general concept of using a word as the "wrong" part of speech is anthimeria.

See also Calvin's opinion on the subject.

That comic was awesome. –  Jeremy Sep 21 '11 at 15:16

Verbification, or verbing. See Wikipedia's entry on linguistic conversion.


When any lexeme changes its word class without affixation, the process is known as ‘conversion’.


Actually, I believe the word you are looking for is anthimeria. From

In rhetoric, anthimeria, traditionally and more properly called antimeria (from the Greek: ἀντί, antí, “against, opposite” and μέρος, méros, “part”), is the use of a word as if it were a member of a different word class (part of speech); typically, the use of a noun as if it were a verb.


This site is currently not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .