English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name for the kind of wifi network that is open (doesn't have WEP or WPA protection or whatever; you can connect to it freely), but which requires you to log in (through a local web page) before you can use the internet?

This is the kind of set-up used in a lot of airports, cafés, and on my company's "guest" wifi network (for visitors).

Is there a short name for it?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Robusto, z7sg Ѫ, Mitch, Philoto, Daniel Sep 20 '11 at 19:16

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 3 down vote accepted

"Captive portal" means precisely this.

share|improve this answer

Is Hotspot the word you're looking for?

share|improve this answer
A hotspot may or may not be open and may or may not require you to log in. – David Schwartz Sep 20 '11 at 11:11
Hotspot is good, but it's usually the general term for open networks that are either free or commercial, with or without a login. – Hugo Sep 20 '11 at 11:12

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.