English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can I say "Draw a triangle around the strawberry" when I want someone who is reading a book, in which there is a picture of a strawberry, to draw a triangle in that book in such a way that the strawberry is inside of the triangle (in which case the triangle must, of course, be bigger than strawberry)?

share|improve this question
It's not ambiguous or incorrect but it is super weird! – Jeremy Sep 20 '11 at 4:42
100% of native literate English speakers will interpret this the way you want. – Lisa Sep 20 '11 at 5:37
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It is correct but if you feel that using "around" would confuse by seemingly requiring a circle when you have asked for a triangle, you could say "surrounding" or "enclosing".

share|improve this answer
In other words "Find a strawberry on page 18 and draw one triangle surrounding/enclosing that strawberry" would be fine, right? – brilliant Sep 20 '11 at 5:30
Yes. Virtually no native speaker would quibble with that. – verbsintransit Sep 20 '11 at 5:47
I see. Thank you. – brilliant Sep 20 '11 at 6:42
I don't think the original sentence is at all confusing. – Colin Fine Sep 20 '11 at 13:04

Yes. That is correct, and should not be ambiguous.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.