English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What word can best describe multiple charts put together?

(Graphs, in math context - not projections or business)

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by Carlo_R., tchrist, MετάEd, Brian Hooper, JoseK Jun 19 '13 at 10:16

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What kind of charts? What is the context, in other words? – JeffSahol Sep 19 '11 at 16:17
Graphs, in math context - not projections/business – David Sep 19 '11 at 16:21
A manifold. (This is a math joke, not a real answer.) – Henry Sep 20 '11 at 2:34
A polygraph? ;) – Kris Jun 19 '13 at 5:55
Why the (4) close votes? Where are the 4 corresponding definitive, convincing answers? – Kris Jun 19 '13 at 5:59
up vote 1 down vote accepted

If by "put together" you mean printed next to each other on a page, "multiplot" is commonly used (at least in gnuplot discussions and documentation). If you mean printed on various pages to make up a concise and definitive reference work, "compendium" would apply.

I assume you are not speaking of an atlas and I note that none of the wiktionary-listed senses of "canon" or "folio" or "compilation" seem appropriate, or I'd have suggested one of those terms.

The previously-suggested "set of charts" and "chart set" phrases seem usable, albeit verbose in that either of "this set of charts" or "this chart set" can be shortened to "these charts" [or "these nomograms" if the charts are in aid of computation].

share|improve this answer
Multiplot doesn't seem to be a standard word, but I think I'll adopt it anyway. – David Sep 20 '11 at 17:50

I do not know of a more specialized word than set, so would call them a set of charts, or a chart set.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.