English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word that means "the word looks like the object it describes"?

For example: "bed" looks a bit like a bed, with the b and the d acting as head and foot boards, with the e as the mattress. "Shark" Looks a bit like a shark, with the capital S looking like the tail fin and the k looking like the mouth.

share|improve this question
Well, what's the visual equivalent of 'onomatopoeia'? – user362 Sep 19 '11 at 13:21

It is a type of iconicity.

The Wikipedia entry for iconicity currently begins:

In functional-cognitive linguistics, as well as in semiotics, iconicity is the conceived similarity or analogy between the form of a sign (linguistic or otherwise) and its meaning, as opposed to arbitrariness.

share|improve this answer

I think it is a particular type of autological word, but I haven't come across a discussion of this type before, so I don't know a word for it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.