English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's a word like mis-learning or mis-training where rather than learning something correct, you learn something incorrect.

For example, if you were learning English as a second language, and constantly read people using alot a lot, and as a result used that word, even after you found out the correct spelling because of habit or muscle memory, what would that be called?

share|improve this question
Your question is a bit unclear to me. You already know about the word "mislearn" but are asking for the word when people knowingly continue to use what they have mislearnt ? – JoseK Sep 19 '11 at 10:43
@JoseK: Is it less confusing now? – Andrew Grimm Sep 19 '11 at 11:37

That could possibly be called "mislearning":

v. t. 1. To learn wrongly.

share|improve this answer


That learning a particular subject correctly ADVANCES ones knowledge so it stands to reason learning it wrong would certainly be the opposite, simply put, RETARDING

share|improve this answer

Imparting into someone, the Truth, is called "education". Imparting into someone, a Belief, is called "indoctrination". The hard part is knowing the difference.

share|improve this answer
This is a question of idology. The OP was asking for a word for being misinformed. as such, you are not really addressing the OP's question. – medica Dec 17 '14 at 0:56
Perhaps I should spell it out. "mis-learning or mis-training" is "indoctrination". (I won't object if you just call it "lying".) "learning something" is the "education" part, where "correct" references the Truth. "learn something incorrect" requires belief to accept. PS: I liked it better the first way. – Jimbo Dec 17 '14 at 23:14
You can spell 'til the cows come home. You're still wrong. – medica Dec 18 '14 at 0:20
Thank you for your opinion. You obviously have very strong beliefs. PS: It's spelled "IDEOLOGY"... – Jimbo Dec 19 '14 at 1:39
It's not indoctrination unless it's systematic and intentional. From the free dictionary: "1. to teach (a person or group of people) systematically to accept doctrines, esp uncritically". It also doesn't necessarily need to be false or even misleading (especially uncritically). – DCShannon Nov 1 '15 at 23:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.