English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm searching for the word for someone who believes in the preservation of other people's cultures. Does anyone know of a good word for this? I don't think "anthropologist" is a good word, as that indicates the study of the cultures, but people can have this belief without studying them.

share|improve this question
I can't distill this into a proper answer, but you may find inspiration at the following Wikipedia articles: Antiquarian, Cultural heritage preservation, and Careers in historic preservation ... – HaL Sep 15 '11 at 15:05
Another option is "cultural curator." – Sven Yargs May 6 '15 at 23:26
Of the existing answers I think "preservationist" is the best. Additionally, I would suggest "[cultural] conservator" or, more freely, "cultural conservationist." All these terms, however, should probably be accompanied by an explanation of how exactly you are using them, since they are not really standard terms for this thing, as far as I know. One more problem is that these terms (especially my "conservator") may suggest some activity toward this goal, not merely belief in it--so, again, be sure to explain your use. – SAH May 26 at 4:49
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Well, you might want to try this simple word, culturalist , which has similar meaning to what you try to express here.

source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/culturalist

share|improve this answer
Culturalist came to mind, but MSWord spellcheck didn't like it, so I thought maybe it was a word that I made up on my own. – xdumaine Sep 15 '11 at 17:02
@roviuser MSEnglish != actual English :) – Chad Sep 15 '11 at 18:09
Also you have the option to add new words to your MS Word dictionary so the spelling check will start liking it again :D – woodykiddy Sep 16 '11 at 1:14
Your link is behind a pay wall so unlikely to be helpful for most users. – z7sg Ѫ Sep 16 '11 at 17:54

The term I would use is cultural preservationist.

share|improve this answer
+1. Or simply "preservationist." – SAH May 26 at 4:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.