English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Imagine a form like this one:

  • year of birth:
  • place of birth:
  • year of death:
  • place of death:

How would you name that form?

share|improve this question
I don't think there is a single word that encompasses this concept. If form design is your object, you might try looking at historical examples of birth and death records to find out what information is recorded. For example, the death certificate for well-known writer Laura Ingalls Wilder uses the same words you've given, with the exception of birthplace instead of place of birth. – aedia λ Sep 15 '11 at 3:51
Maybe a tombstone? – Peter Shor Sep 15 '11 at 4:27
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I'd label the form "Vital Statistics" or "Birth and Death Data" or possibly "Personal Data", depending on the purpose of the form. If you insist on using a single word for the form title, and don't like the aforementioned "Tombstone", you could miscall it a "Scorecard", "Annals", "Register", "Lifespan", "Vitals", etc.

share|improve this answer
+1 for "Vital Statistics". – Peter Shor Sep 15 '11 at 12:21

I believe it is an epitaph, the words that are written on a tombstone.

share|improve this answer
The definition of Epitaph is "An inscription on a gravestone in memory of the deceased." This answer is just wrong. – American Luke Mar 24 '13 at 1:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.