English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is an adjective that describes something very visually crowded or busy? Cacophonous is perfect, but it describes sound.

share|improve this question
Jackson Pollock ;) – Rae Sep 14 '11 at 1:06
'busy' is the first thing that came to my mind from your title question. Are you looking for something coined from Ancient Greek? – Mitch Aug 17 '12 at 21:48

10 Answers 10

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Depending on your specific situation, I think chaos, confusion, turmoil, and tumult all have the chance to do nicely. However, I also like the potential for metaphor here; if you can use it in this context, why not just use cacophony or visual cacophony? We even use loud in English to describe brightly colored things; sound can be used to express a visual experience so intense that it seems to bleed into the other senses.

share|improve this answer
"Tumult" is a good word. I've never heard it before! – Maxpm Sep 14 '11 at 1:28
Agreed. Aural descriptives have been commonly used to describe visual effects for as long as we have a written record. I see nothing wrong with the metaphor as it stands. "Tumult", in fact, is fundamentally an aural descriptive; the other words work just as well. – Kyle Pearson Sep 14 '11 at 5:35
+1 for “visual cacophony.” – Bradd Szonye Apr 21 '13 at 0:27

Perhaps one could describe the thing as "cluttered":

1.Scattered with a disorderly mixture of objects; littered

For example, "The table top was cluttered with an endless amount of items"

There also the other examples of croweded, messy, littered, dishevel, scrambled(like scrambled egg), and my personal favourite, topsy-turvy

share|improve this answer


motley n. pl. motleys:

  1. The parti-colored attire of a court jester.
  2. A heterogeneous, often incongruous mixture of elements.

(Definition courtesy of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

share|improve this answer

Yiddish has the wonderful word ungapatchka, which means overdone, garish, distastefully ornate, or over-the-top; I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Too bad it doesn't have the currency in English that some other Yiddish words do.

"Garish" is not a bad English word for this, come to think of it!

share|improve this answer

Garish is the closest I can think of.

Cacography describes bad handwriting or scribbling. You could help reenforce cacovisual as a new word. It was coined elsewhere but only has two English references on the web according to Google.

You might describe it as assaulting (one's senses), or a visual train-wreck.

Some related words and phrases are groteque and eye sore.

share|improve this answer

You asked for a single word, but your own "visual cacophony" hits the nail squarely on the head. I can visualise that dischordant mess immediately!

share|improve this answer

Down south, we say "gaudy", and although this tends to be a term of disparagement used against presumptuous decor and attire it is often extended to other situations, as well.

"The colors they used in that mall architecture were just gaudy; i can't look at the place for longer than two minutes, and it give me a headache."

share|improve this answer

Perhaps the noun form of spattering, which means to have many distinct elements spread chaotically over a surface, e.g. a spattering of paint on a canvas.

share|improve this answer

Cornucopia may suit if it's a positive abundance of things. Although not what you are looking for I expect!

Cornucopia is a noun though (as is cacophony)

share|improve this answer
This word does not seem to fit the bill. The definition I have is "an abundant, overflowing supply." – American Luke Sep 27 '12 at 1:56

Be careful with the word tumult — that describes noise as well!

A "visual tumult" doesn't sound as good as a "visual cacophony". Depending on the situation, we could use a number of terms. I'd go with "a riot of (something)", be it colour or whatever the visual focus is that is so cacophonous.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.