English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A compendium is a concise, yet comprehensive compilation of a body of knowledge.

Source: Wikipedia

What then would I call an entry or item of knowledge that is contained by a compendium? Is there a general term for what a compendium is made up of?

share|improve this question
What's wrong with entry? – FumbleFingers Sep 8 '11 at 19:08
Nothing, that's what I ended up going with. Was just wondering if there was a term particularly associated with compendium. – Paul Bellora Sep 8 '11 at 19:12
oic. Well, with certain types of compendium, @ghoppe's article might suit, as might contribution. But as you've apparently already realised, there's no special generic word for entries in a compendium as opposed to in any other "unified" package of information. – FumbleFingers Sep 8 '11 at 19:33
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think it would depend on what sort of compendium it is.

If it's a compilation of poems, each entry would obviously be a poem. It might be a compendium of books, writings, words, quotations, and any number of things.

The most generic or common term is the one you used: entry. I think for compendiums of knowledge the word article would also be common.

share|improve this answer
Okay thanks - I was just wondering if there was a term specific to compendia but non-specific to whatever was compiled. – Paul Bellora Sep 8 '11 at 18:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.