English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

After planking, owling and leisure dive, now there is the trend which is called "Batmanning". Obviously it is a made-up word. Is there a proper substitute for it? What is the verb that defines the act when a bat hangs from somewhere?

share|improve this question
Doesn't your question answer itself? The verb when a bat hangs somewhere is "hang". Or are you looking for a one-word synonym for the verb phrase "hang upside-down"? – Peter Taylor Sep 7 '11 at 12:26
@Peter: The latter. That's why I tagged my question as single-word-requests. – Mehper C. Palavuzlar Sep 7 '11 at 13:10
Yes, I saw the tag, but since "hang" is already a single word... – Peter Taylor Sep 7 '11 at 13:26
@Peter: I thought there would be a verb to distinguish upside down from upright... – Mehper C. Palavuzlar Sep 7 '11 at 13:28
(Bah! Batman does not hang upside-down like that.) – Beta Sep 7 '11 at 14:16
up vote 5 down vote accepted

"Planking" is just as incorrect as "Batmanning" other than the spellchecker is okay with it for unrelated reasons. If the masses of the internet feel like coining a term that compares 'hanging like a bat' to 'planking' then so be it. The same goes for "owling".

Assuming you meant a word that just means, "hanging upside down":

  • roost
  • perch
  • hang
  • suspend
  • dangle

There isn't usually a way to distinguish "upside down" from "upright" positions with these but context generally helps:

He hung from the rafters.

share|improve this answer
If the masses of the internet feel like using “than” when they mean “then,” then so be it. :) – Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 7 '11 at 14:39
Yeah, I still haven't been able to figure out an easy way to remember which is which. :P – MrHen Sep 10 '11 at 22:19

Teenage trends are all about being different from the oldies, and I am sure the 'Batmanners' would be mortified to find that there already was a word for the activity they have invented. That said, I think they are fairly safe in assuming "hanging upside down like a bat while somebody takes a picture of you" is not popular enough to have a single-word synonym.

share|improve this answer

Well, the boots they use with hooks to keep you hanging on a bar like that are called "inversion boots". They were popular back in the 80's after Richard Gere used them in a movie (don't tell the kids this).

If you want a technical term for the act of using inversion boots, it would be inversion.

share|improve this answer

You might describe it as resupinate. Although resupination means to appear upside-down, I think in a human context, the hanging part would be implied.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.