English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is building site the British English equivalent of construction site in American English, and is it used in American English?

share|improve this question

As an American English (Texan) speaker, "construction site" is a tad more familiar, but either phrase would communicate the concept just fine.

share|improve this answer
I could imagine a "building site" being designated and called that even before construction actually begins. So perhaps there is a slight difference. – GEdgar Sep 6 '11 at 15:08
Agreed..."construction site" tends to imply that construction is actually underway. – Chris B. Behrens Sep 6 '11 at 15:21

Building site is definitely the normal phrase here (Scotland). Construction site might be used for a non-building site - i.e. civil engineering.

share|improve this answer

I would definitely say so. I (as a Brit) would never say construction site and I don't think that I have never heard an American refer to a building site.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.