Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading this article about eating insects. What is a word for a person who does it?

share|improve this question
insectivore applies to animals that eat insects. Fried grasshoppers & chocolate-covered ants: yum yum. –  GEdgar Sep 5 '11 at 12:48
"Entomophage": scientists will understand you, but the masses will raise their eyebrows at you. "Insectivore": the masses will understand you, but scientists will raise their eyebrows at you. –  Miles Erickson Sep 5 '11 at 17:16
Belongs on cooking.SE! –  Andrew Grimm Sep 5 '11 at 23:51
Biker esp. without a helmet comes to mind. But Entomophage is the medical term. –  Intrepid01 yesterday

2 Answers 2

The habit is called entomophagy, so a person doing so would be called an entomophage; entomophagous is the adjective.

share|improve this answer

As @GEdgar said, insectivore. Humans are animals, after all. But that implies an insect-only diet. Omnivore might be more appropriate.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.