English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just as "arms akimbo" has a very specific meaning, is there an "arms __" that specifically means what I described in the title?

share|improve this question
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!! – Chris B. Behrens Sep 2 '11 at 18:04
Does this help? – simchona Sep 2 '11 at 18:09
akimbY !!!!!!!! – JeffSahol Sep 2 '11 at 18:13
@simchona Helps, but not quite the same scenario. That question is about something more like the motion a magician takes after the reveal. A key difference there being hands outstretched to the side. – xanadont Sep 2 '11 at 18:19
@xanadont: Ok, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a duplicate. – simchona Sep 2 '11 at 18:22

I don't know of a single word that describes this. When I read your question, my first thought was the line from Pearl Jam's Jeremy: arms raised in a V

Among friends, I jokingly refer to this pose as sticking the landing (as a gymnast might). YMCA interruptus is sillier and not as clear, but remains an amusing option.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, I appreciate the gymnast reference as I thought of this too. Initially I had a problem with it since gymnasts "raise their arms in a V" regardless of sticking the landing or not; it's used to signal the end of the routine. Of course that's neither here nor there since it's immediately clear what "sticks the landing" means. – xanadont Sep 2 '11 at 18:52

Not one word, but I'd say you hit the nail squarely on the head in the question when you said arms overhead in a Y-shape.

I instantly knew exactly what you meant.

share|improve this answer

as a flight deck hand signal it means/called "fold" or "spread wings"

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

People often use "raised (as if) in supplication" to describe that position, which can go from a "Y" shape to straight overhead.

I don't know if there's a precise word for it, though. I'm curious to see if there is.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.