English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can you tell me what the word is for "Unnecessary detailed info on a topic which is given after the prominent parts is given"

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

You could say that it is extraneous:

not pertinent; irrelevant: an extraneous remark; extraneous decoration.

share|improve this answer

If someone doesn't stay on topic, you might say their unrelated information is a digression or that they've gone off on a tangent.

If they simply go on at length, they might ramble, drivel, blather, or babble, producing some form of nonsense, perhaps claptrap or prattle.

share|improve this answer

"Fluff" or, more negatively, "bloat"

share|improve this answer

Following on aedia λ's answer:

Digressive might be another alternative.


digressive: characterized by digressions

Edited to include definition based on Sven's suggestion.

share|improve this answer
From the way the poster framed the question, I suspect that he's looking for a noun rather than for an adjective. But in any event you can strengthen your answer by adding a dictionary definition of digressive, citing the dictionary, and (if possible) including a link to it. – Sven Yargs Aug 13 '15 at 22:11
You're right of course. But the top-rated response also proposes only an adjective. – Damon Aug 14 '15 at 1:27
So it does, so it does. And the poster accepted it, so he can hardly have been too keen on nouns versus adjectives. Anyway I appreciate your taking time to revise your answer to help it stand on its own a bit better. +1 – Sven Yargs Aug 14 '15 at 1:35
Of course! It was a good suggestion. – Damon Aug 14 '15 at 1:36

Assuming you're referring to printed material of some sort, you might be referring to a 'disclaimer', 'statutory legalese', aka 'the fine print'.

share|improve this answer
Actually it doesn't relate to printed material. It could be everything like a speech or something or a story.. – Tarik Sep 1 '11 at 19:28
Lets assume "Some one is giving a speech about something but in the middle of his speech he just decided to give such info not relevant to the topic and then quickly got back to the topic" but he did it on purpose and this is something not necessary and also detail info about the topic. – Tarik Sep 1 '11 at 19:38

We could call it "information overload":

The inability to process everything one hears and sees; the availability or supply of too much information, or a state of stress which results.

"information overload" is the result of too much information, and perhaps, can be used to refer to the "too much information" itself

share|improve this answer

The word you're looking for is superfluous

From the Oxford Dictionary:

superfluous - Unnecessary, especially through being more than enough:

share|improve this answer
Generally you would want to include some citation, but good. – Yeshe Aug 14 '15 at 5:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.