English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If the employees working directly for him are called his direct reports, how should one call the complete hierarchy of employees who work for him?

share|improve this question
I don't understand why this is so downvoted and voted to close. There may not be a word or generally accepted phrase for it but it's still a viable question. Can any downvoters explain? – Mitch Dec 13 '11 at 15:56
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The MLM term "downline" means exactly this, but it's frequently used in conjunction with pyramid schemes and the like. "Subordinates" is possible, but that could suggest people below him in other branches and thus not under him. You can use the term "span of control" too by describing them as "employees in his span of control".

If you're going to say "direct reports", why not "direct and indirect reports" or just "reports"?

share|improve this answer
Thanks for clarifying subordinates, as I now understand a private would be the subordinate of any general, and not only of his own general. I will simply go with reports then. – Mathieu Sep 1 '11 at 17:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.