English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The situation I am thinking of is where someone within a company runs queries on a database and formats the information (with or without commentary) into a report.

Is there a single word that describes such a person?

I was originally thinking reporter but that seems too tied to the profession: a reporter is a type of journalist who researches and presents information in certain types of mass media.

The word analyst seems to cover the with commentary part, but I would like to see if there is something else.

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The field in which someone runs database queries is data analysis:

Analysis of data is a process of inspecting, cleaning, transforming, and modeling data with the goal of highlighting useful information, suggesting conclusions, and supporting decision making. Data analysis has multiple facets and approaches, encompassing diverse techniques under a variety of names, in different business, science, and social science domains.

A person in such a field is a data analyst. That is, they figure out which data is relevant and then run queries.

share|improve this answer
Actually, they usually figure out what information is relevant first, and then write the query to extract that information. – Kit Z. Fox Sep 1 '11 at 11:53

The official EU word is rapporteur, which possibly confirms that there is a problem with this word. However, as a report is normally the end result of a process of research or analysis, I would say researcher or analyst depending on usage in the context.

share|improve this answer

Maybe you could call the person a "researcher":

A researcher is somebody who performs research, the search for knowledge or in general any systematic investigation to establish facts. Researchers can work in academic, industrial, government, or private institutions.

The results of a research are then written up into a report, with a title, aim, discussion, and conclusions.

share|improve this answer

Collator might be usable, although it's rare.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.