English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm writing a tech doc and this question bothers me, though I know it should be simple.

I know I should say "A pair of [Key, Value]", but when I have something like "A ____ of [Key, Value, Flag]", I'm just not sure if the proper word is triple, or something else.

Is triple often used as an adjective instead of a noun? Is there a better word?

share|improve this question
'Triple' can be used as an adjective: triple crown in horse racing, triple score in a video game, a triple scoop for an ice cream cone. As a noun or adjective, triple is probably the best of all the examples (the others have more context restricted usage). – Mitch Aug 29 '11 at 13:42
another one, not mentioned yet is triplet(as a noun) – Theta30 Aug 29 '11 at 16:10
Yeah, I would say "triplet". – Hot Licks Jan 25 at 19:28
up vote 13 down vote accepted

If you were not writing in a technical context, an option is the noun, trio:

  1. [countable + singular or plural verb]

a group of three people or things

A trio of English runners featured in the women's 1500 metres.

However, for technical contexts triple is perfectly fine. You can use triple as a noun, as the Merriam Webster dictionary indicates. Wiktionary indicates that one of the few uses of triple as a noun is:

(mathematics, computing) A sequence of three elements or 3-tuple.

For your case, I would recommend triple because trio sounds a bit more hoity-toity. Both would be accurate, but I think triple carries the right tone. (For example, there are Pythagorean triples but not Pythagorean trios).

share|improve this answer
In a computing context, 3-tuple is probably more usual. Mathematicians seem to prefer triple, as in your example. – Karl Knechtel Aug 29 '11 at 11:35
Good point @Karl. Is it used in tech docs? I've only ever used it to talk about a program informally – simchona Aug 29 '11 at 11:38
Google NGrams doesn't seem to have heard of 3-tuples, but the use of the word 'tuple' in general has skyrocketed in the computer era (before which it was practically unheard of), so... – Karl Knechtel Aug 29 '11 at 11:48
'Trio' is much more restricted in usage than triple. It is the common name for a piece of music for three instruments, but is also used for a group of three people – Mitch Aug 29 '11 at 13:53

A couple of related words are threesome and triad, both of which mean a group of three. In general, threesome is used for people and triad, for inanimate objects.

share|improve this answer

Triple is also used as noun, but its meaning is different from the meaning of the adjective. Among others, the meanings of triple as noun reported by the NOAD are the following:

  • a thing that is three times as large as usual or is made up of three standard units or items
  • (triples) a sporting contest in which each side has three players
  • another term for trifecta

The OED reports also that triple as noun means "a thing consisting of three parts; a set of three items."

He pressed […] a triple of keys.—Joyce

share|improve this answer


A set or succession of three similar things.

  • 'The reason why a triplet or quad of Aces is worth so few points is because they can be very easy to get.'
  • 'It constitutes a triplet, the first number representing the position, the second the wavelength and the third the transmission.'
  • 'DNA, RNA, and protein triplets or pairs were united on the basis of a high degree of similarity as detected by the appropriate blast algorithm or on the basis of annotation.'

(Oxford Dictionaries)

For some reason, nobody posted this as an answer yet even though Theta30 mentioned it in a comment in 2011.

share|improve this answer

a tripling technique is

two or more idea to the sentences like: the multimedia dictionary is idea for students,teachersand writers.

share|improve this answer
I don't understand this post. What is the word or phrase that you would suggest using in the context ""A ____ of [Key, Value, Flag]"? We can't use "tripling" or "tripling technique" here. – sumelic Jul 17 at 19:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.