English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a verb that sounds like kwel/quel that means "to calm". My best attempts to get a butchered spelling close enough that a digital dictionary can tell me the proper spelling are failures; and none of my thesauri have the word of which I'm thinking.

Can anybody help out a frustrated and spelling-challenged English speaker?

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

You're awfully close. The word is quell.

  1. to thoroughly overwhelm and reduce to submission or passivity <quell a riot>
  2. quiet, pacify <quell fears>
share|improve this answer
How about we both get the same number of votes, and you get accepted for getting there first - sound like a plan? – Daniel Aug 26 '11 at 21:00
+1 Here's a cookie. – Daniel Aug 26 '11 at 21:39
@Anonymous: You do, but as an unregistered user, you're not allowed to vote. – mmyers Aug 26 '11 at 21:48
+1. To both of course ;-) The funniest thing is that quell originally means to kill. – Alain Pannetier Φ Aug 26 '11 at 22:09
@drɱ65δ: Cookie! – mmyers Aug 29 '11 at 13:18

The word is quell. You'd certainly have found it by googling or dictionary-searching if it weren't for the fact that the acronym QUEL is all that comes up when you try to google "quel" or search a dictionary for it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.