English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I came across one word that is "gas-bag." Are there any other specific (not slang) words?

share|improve this question
Voting to close as general reference--Googling this finds the "official" word of "flatulent". – simchona Aug 26 '11 at 9:41
Close it . I am fine with it – Abid Aug 26 '11 at 10:42
I'm not adding anything here...but I call that person a demolition expert because they're "blowing it up" all the time... – Tim Reddy Sep 9 '13 at 18:21
What about a fartalot? – Bentley4 Dec 3 '13 at 14:08
There was a Frenchman who performed (naked) with his comically egregious emissions. He had names for each variation on the theme, and he drew great crowds of men (no women allowed). His stage name was "Le Petomaine" (not sure of the spelling). I suppose you could Google his stage name and find the name of the book which included the story of Le Petomaine. I have a feeling it was in a Peter Laurence book, if memory serves. – rhetorician Jan 1 '14 at 13:45
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Further to Thusagen's answer, the single word would be flatulent.

share|improve this answer

This person, in medicine, would have been called, "someone suffering from excessive flatulence"

share|improve this answer

I personally call such a person a fart-machine. ;)

But the correct term is flatulent.

share|improve this answer

In Show Bussiness is called the Fart-Maker.

share|improve this answer

Smelly. Common nickname for a person who farts a lot.

share|improve this answer

Not sure how spread it is but I've heard the term "sir farts-a-lot". Although, the correct and polite way is "flatulent".

share|improve this answer

I'd call them a fart-arse, a term which has expanded to include a number of other meanings:-

fart-arse (plural fart-arses)

(UK, slang, derogatory) A generic term of insult.


fart-arse (third-person singular simple present fart-arses, present participle fart-arsing, simple past and past participle fart-arsed)

(UK, slang) To waste time or opportunities; to dawdle.

share|improve this answer

protected by RegDwigнt Aug 26 '11 at 9:54

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.