Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If you are writing something like a section/table in one page of a document and are forced to move part of it to a new place, what word do you use to signal "continuation"? For example,

(Page 1:) Section 1: Bla bla bla,

(Page 2:) Section 1 (cont.)(???) bla bla bla bla.

The idea is to somehow signal that "Section 1" in page 2 doesn't start anew, I mean, it was already started somewhere else and we are signaling that fact. What word/abbreviation do you use?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by FumbleFingers, aedia λ, Mitch, simchona, Daniel Aug 24 '11 at 22:36

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Voting to close on the grounds this isn't about language as such. It's about page formatting, and should be on writers.se –  FumbleFingers Aug 24 '11 at 21:58
I can't vote, but I agree with @FumbleFingers here. Most of these guidelines are specific to the style manual that you use for your document and are not related to the language. –  user8586 Aug 24 '11 at 22:00
Cont. and cont'd are abbreviations often used, but I agree that this is dependent on style guidelines. The full word continued may be preferred, or no marking at all. –  aedia λ Aug 24 '11 at 22:04
@FumbleFingers: I think it is off-topic. But, not to be contrary but, like the indenting question, this is kinda like punctuation, right? –  Mitch Aug 24 '11 at 22:09
You could just mark your page numbers as "Page 1 of 2" and "Page 2 of 2." –  Randolf Richardson Aug 24 '11 at 23:23

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.