English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the correct term to use for "positioning" elements in a graphic user interface?

For example, if I say:

Where should we position the button A?

Is that a correct (and professional) way to say it?

share|improve this question
Yes. (I would omit the the) – malach Oct 11 '10 at 12:48
I would use place or put. – livibetter Oct 11 '10 at 12:52
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Both “placement” and “position(ing)” are used e.g. in the Gnome Human Interface Guidelines.

Analogously, both “to place” and “to position” should be fine.

/EDIT: the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines almost exclusively use “placement” at the moment.

share|improve this answer
Gnome Human Interface could also be interpreted as a communication medium between gnomes and humans... – Claudiu Oct 11 '10 at 13:58
@Claudiu that would be a Gnome–Human Interface. – nohat Oct 11 '10 at 20:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.