English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a term for a physical place to post flyers?

share|improve this question
By and large, the posting of flyers is illegal. So it's a bit odd to ask for names of places where you can "properly" post them. – FumbleFingers Aug 21 '11 at 22:41
From the linked article: "Flyposting is the act of placing advertising posters or flyers in illegal places." - in other words, that already implies there are place where it is not illegal to post them. – Random832 Aug 22 '11 at 0:27
@Fumble: it’s certainly not illegal in general. I’ve helped with publicising amateur plays and concerts, and a large part of that is wandering around towns and campuses working out on which notice-boards one can legitimately put up posters/flyers! – PLL Aug 22 '11 at 2:27
@FumbleFingers: I’m not seeing why you think the OP is excluding those; but in any case, besides those, I’ve found supermarkets, coffee shops, bars, and churches very often have spots for flyers and posters for local events, and two cities I’ve lived in (one UK, one US) have also had some public places where it was legal to post flyers. I’m sure it varies and may be different elsewhere, but in at least some places, it’s legal and fairly common. Posting flyers ≠ flyposting. – PLL Aug 22 '11 at 5:14
@FumbleFingers - I am asking for verbiage about english usage not a legal question. – Pat Aug 22 '11 at 5:17
up vote 3 down vote accepted
  • board
  • bulletin board
  • cork board
  • announcement area
  • community notice area
  • notice board
  • notice area
  • message wall
  • note board
  • note wall
  • news wall
  • news board
  • poster kiosk
share|improve this answer

You can simply call it a board or bulletin board.

share|improve this answer
We were thinking about "bulletin board" but it gets long to repeatedly use "bulletin board". And "board" gets confused with lumber. (thus my searching for an alternative) – Pat Aug 22 '11 at 5:19

You could use billboard or if you are in the UK, hoarding.

share|improve this answer
Both of these, to my understanding, suggest very large advertisements. A big Coca-Cola ad goes on a billboard/hoarding (and takes up the whole of it), but the little poster for my amateur orchestra goes on a notice-board or bulletin-board (probably alongside a dozen other flyers there). – PLL Aug 21 '11 at 21:44
Never heard of "hoarding" before. Cool :-) – Pat Aug 22 '11 at 5:20

I sometimes call it a Notice Board, because that's where people also post lot's of "Lost and Founds," Advertisements, Soceity Informations, etc..

share|improve this answer

There is a German word (Litfaß column) for the short round pillars to place adverts on. Our schools German teacher always wanted it to become common in England (like kindergarten)

share|improve this answer

Advertising column. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising_column Also morris column (French) or Litfaß column (German)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.