English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If a word or phrase is used and has evolved its own meaning peculiar to a specific group, is this described as jargon or is there a closer semantic match?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Yes, jargon usually has a meaning peculiar to a specific group. A synonym is intalk. Here's the Wiktionary definition for confirmation.



jargon (countable and uncountable; plural jargons)

  1. (uncountable) A technical terminology unique to a particular subject.
  2. (countable) Language characteristic of a particular group.
  3. (uncountable) Speech or language that is incomprehensible or unintelligible; gibberish.

Synonyms (language characteristic of a group): argot, cant, intalk, slang vernacular

share|improve this answer
I like the intalk suggestion. Great word. – Ben Aug 21 '11 at 12:15

The definition of jargon refers to the vocabulary of a specific group:

the language, especially the vocabulary, peculiar to a particular trade, profession, or group

However, if the word or phrase developed to keep others out (that is, it was purposefully created as a kind of linguistic barrier) it might be classified as a cant:

Cant is the jargon, argot or cryptolect of a group, often implying its use to exclude or mislead people outside the group

share|improve this answer
I think that sense of "cant" is hopelessly archaic today. – FumbleFingers Aug 21 '11 at 13:07

On can also see term of art for some things like this. LINK

share|improve this answer

The word vernacular would work.

share|improve this answer


The jargon or slang of a particular class or group.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.