English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a word or phrase specifically used to refer to the act of placing a flag to claim new territory. I'm specifically referring to claiming land in the name of some sovereign, though a more general term will do.

share|improve this question
My dad always talked about "peeing on the four corners", but I'm guessing that won't be formal enough for you. :-) – T.E.D. Aug 19 '11 at 13:31
up vote 1 down vote accepted


Due to tylerl's specification, I did a little bit of research, and actually, tylerl, "planting the flag" might just be the expression you're after. I saw it in a blog, :

“Planting the flag” usually means making a claim to something, usually territory or land. Throughout history men have “planted the flag” claiming ownership in the name of the king, queen, country, church, etc. marking the land as their own

In this Space Review edition, it referred to the time when Neil Armstrong reached the moon, as "planting a flag", and says it's "only the beginning".

I reckon it's correct usage.

share|improve this answer
Obviously "stake a claim" is another appropriate idiom. But I was hoping for something more immediately recognizable as referring to "planting the flag". Though that might be it. – tylerl Aug 19 '11 at 5:37

One might annex a piece of land or territory, which would tend to mean claim in a legalistic way or seize by coup-de-main rather than wage war for it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.