English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What other words are like "independence" in British English where you replace the 'a' with an 'e'?


locked by Andrew Leach May 25 at 16:47

This question exists because it has historical significance, but it is not considered a good, on-topic question for this site, so please do not use it as evidence that you can ask similar questions here. This question and its answers are frozen and cannot be changed. More info: help center.

You mean when going from French to English? "Independence" is correctly spelled with an "e" in English. – Jon Purdy Oct 9 '10 at 6:43
wouldn't it just be easier and faster to check an online dictionary than to ask here? – Epaga Oct 9 '10 at 8:02
No, I was just wondering if there were different words that were like this in such a situation. – JFW Oct 13 '10 at 15:04
Another American chiming in that "independance" is just as incorrect on this side of the pond as it is in England. – Marthaª Nov 1 '10 at 0:04
up vote 18 down vote accepted

I reject your premise that "independance" is the American spelling; it's the French one. Both in British and in American English, "independence" is spelled with an "e". (There's even a federal holiday.)

You're fighting a losing battle. I refer you to this: english.stackexchange.com/questions/3723/… – Seamus Oct 10 '10 at 10:33
Not fighting any battles here, simply answering the question. The suffix "-ance" was not invented in the US. – RegDwigнt Oct 10 '10 at 12:45

Other words:

  • definately
  • persistance
  • compatability
  • dependant (depending on context)
  • existance
  • recommandation
  • extant (depending on context)
  • tendancy
  • avarage
  • deterrant
  • occurance
  • referance
  • elimanate
  • accessability
  • efficiant
  • simplar
  • promenant
  • privilage
  • inadvertantly
  • turbulance

They are all misspellings (some more common than others), just as independance is. Source.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.