English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have stenographer, secretary and recorder already (but they don't seem to be precise enough) and I'm hoping to find a shorter word if possible please.

Some context, I'm a software engineer and the naming of entities within a program needs some precision. Since I was coding a simple example for a more non technical user I wanted a shorted and more precise word.

share|improve this question
lol - doesn't matter but 4-5 chars is about the size I'm thinking about – Preet Sangha Aug 18 '11 at 21:45
I'd prefer to see more context. Why aren't the words you mentioned good enough? Where do you intend to use it? Why is it important to you that the word be short? – prash Aug 19 '11 at 1:43
Where I come from, someone who takes notes = nerd. – onomatomaniak Oct 17 '11 at 10:15
up vote 19 down vote accepted

Scribe is one of the shortest words for "one who transcribes professionally".

It's difficult to be precise and short sometimes: a clerk might take notes, but probably doesn't do this as a sole task.

Some longer but more precise alternatives are notetaker or transcriptionist.

share|improve this answer
Note that like clerk, the more usual meaning for scribe is more general than just note-taking. It means basically someone who writes, be that notes at a meeting or books in a monastery. – Marthaª Aug 18 '11 at 23:05
"Scribe" is the preferred word in the some of the companies I have worked for (and with). None of us were professional scribes, but we performed that role (we took turns) in meetings and reviews. We were all engineers. – prash Aug 18 '11 at 23:26
thank you! Perfect! – Preet Sangha Aug 19 '11 at 12:34

You could try amanuensis:

a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another; secretary.


share|improve this answer
excellent answer – Preet Sangha Oct 17 '11 at 8:44
That's a great word – Mark Oct 17 '11 at 8:59

How about "rapporteur?" An old French word for someone who reports. It's a term used at the United Nations and other international organizations.

a person who is appointed by an organization to report on the proceedings of its meetings.


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.