English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If pronunciation pairs with sound, which word should spelling pair with?

share|improve this question
Somehow I feel reminded of “Visualized” equivalent adjective for audio, except it's the other way round this time... – RegDwigнt Oct 8 '10 at 20:07
up vote 3 down vote accepted

There a couple of implied analogies here:

A word’s pronunciation is how it sounds, so a word’s spelling is how it ___.

  • looks
  • appears

A word’s pronunciation is what sound it makes when used, so a word’s spelling is what ___ it makes when used.

  • shape
  • appearance
  • visual manifestation
share|improve this answer
+1, I think that "look" is actually the best candidate, because just as "sound", it works both as a verb and as a noun (as opposed to the other candidates on your list and elsewhere on this page). – RegDwigнt Oct 8 '10 at 21:41
Actually, the word that the OP is looking for might be orthography. – JSBձոգչ Dec 3 '10 at 0:27

In my mind, appearance.

share|improve this answer

I said "sight" earlier but that's not right. (In that case you'd have said "hearing" not "sound"). Maybe "vision"?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.