Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have been changing 'drafty' for 'draughty', or because of my confusion, removing the word altogether while subbing online articles.

I'd appreciate guidance on which term is correct for UK English.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

Draft is principally an American English variant that, like many other such simplified spellings, has entered the British English lexicon as an increasingly acceptable alternative spelling. Draft is also considered the standard British English spelling for certain definitions such as a technical drawing, a preliminary or rough version, or the act or result of "drawing" from or upon something (e.g. a Military Draft.)

Draughty is preferable for British English as this is the more common spelling when referring to a current of air.

share|improve this answer
Is it pronounced the same? I'm not seeing an F sound in there. –  mmyers Oct 6 '10 at 15:18
Yes, it's the same - as in "laugh." –  PyroTyger Oct 6 '10 at 16:09

This is entirely subjective, and coming from a BritEng, but I see these differences:

  • Draft I would use for being taken into military service, for a preliminary drawing.

  • Draughts I would use for the game (that's checkers for AmEng, I believe)

  • For the windy variety, I'd be comfortable with either.

Wikipedia seems to agree, and has more detail.

share|improve this answer

The free dictionary says

draughty US, drafty


drafty [ˈdrɑːftɪ] ...

the usual US spelling of draughty

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.