English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's a Greek word that means using the wrong part of speech somewhere in a sentence, as in:

I don't know the who or the how or the when.

Where "who", "how", and "when" are being used for nouns. What's the word for this?

share|improve this question
up vote 12 down vote accepted

The word you're looking for is anthimeria, artfully using a different part of speech to act as another in violation of the normal rules of grammar.

This switch might involve treating a verb like a noun, or a noun like a verb, or an adjective like a verb, and so on. Nancy Sinatra's 1960s song These Boots Are Made for Walkin' has You keep lying when you ought to be truthing. . . . You keep saming when you ought to be changing, for example.

Linguists are much preoccupied with e. e. cummings "he sang his didn't, he danced his did."

share|improve this answer
I love everything about this answer. – Nicholas Aug 6 '11 at 14:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.