English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word or term other than ‘exemplar’ for the educational cards used in primary classrooms to teach English? These are the:

'A' is for 'Apple'

Or for the cards which show how to write a letterform which tends to line the walls of some classrooms.

'A' 'a', 'B' 'b', etcetera

I am looking for a general use term or phrase which elementary teachers would refer to these and not for product names used to purchase them.

share|improve this question
Are you looking for another adjective, or the product name? – simchona Aug 4 '11 at 23:19
Sorry, not looking to buy them, just curious as to what they’re normally called. Were it a book or journal I would assume ‘exemplar’. I’m uncertain if grade-school teachers use a different term. Will edit to clarify. – user179700 Aug 4 '11 at 23:22
up vote 5 down vote accepted

According to this teaching catalog, these are called wall cards:

enter image description here

This other website, which sells them as vintage, also refers to the following as wall cards:

enter image description here

Finally, here's a wall card that shows the letterform:

enter image description here

Another option, which seems to fit the original idea you posted, are alphabet lines:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
+1 Thank you, I'll use that if no one has an alternative one I'll prefer. – user179700 Aug 5 '11 at 2:11
Edited -- I found something which may fit better. – simchona Aug 5 '11 at 2:16
Alphabet lines could work as it helps convey a sort of homey anachronism also present in the story. Thanks. – user179700 Aug 5 '11 at 3:20

Flash cards? Those are generally the size of cue cards or notecards, though, so I am not sure if you mean something larger.

share|improve this answer
Sorry, not flashcards. It may be a US centric experience. It may also be a practice which has fallen out of favour. I found this image which is instead for numbers bc.k12.mi.us/images/ELimages/BldgTour/kroom2.jpg. This one is a sort of homemade one (though lacks the arrows I remember on how to draw the letterforms: progressivepreschool.org/images/Writing%20table.jpg – user179700 Aug 5 '11 at 1:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.