English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I say something encouraging for someone, then I am mentally or spiritually supporting him.

I mean to input into his head as well as resurect ideas of possibility that has been far out of reach.

Is mental or spiritual support the correct term here?

share|improve this question
Please don't ask us to "correct your italic statement". This is off-topic for this SE. – simchona Aug 4 '11 at 2:13
@StackUnderblow I edited your question to better fit within the EL&U guidelines. If you don't like it, you can roll them back, but it may cause others to close your question as off-topic. – simchona Aug 4 '11 at 2:38

You could certainly say that you're providing both mental and spiritual support, but that phrase sounds quite odd to an English Speaker.

Common phrases to describe doing this for someone includes bolstering their confidence or giving them encouragement. To bolster means to strengthen.

If you want to be more explicit, you could say something like: "I mean to give him the confidence to reconsider those ideas he gave up on long ago."

share|improve this answer
An Excelent quick reply! Thanks a lot. Admittedly, using English to a non-native to make it sound natural to a native is truly difficult1 – StackUnderblow Aug 4 '11 at 1:37
@StackUnderblow I bet! English as a language doesn't really make sense so I guess all you can do is practice and memorize common phrases. – Jeremy Aug 4 '11 at 2:04

Your statement in italics is overwrought. To simply say you agree with them should be enough. If a stronger statement is needed you could say they have your complete agreement or unqualified support. To go further would be to venture into hyperbole or rhetoric (shudder).

share|improve this answer
Thank you. But to clearify my view, I would like to learn and read English written that way in a correct English manner. – StackUnderblow Aug 4 '11 at 1:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.