English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Ed would like to know if there is a word to describe someone who refers to themself in the third person.

share|improve this question
Bob Dole? Donald Trump? – Kit Z. Fox Aug 3 '11 at 17:57
A Facebook user? – splattne Aug 3 '11 at 18:01
Bill should have thought to post this here himself. :) – Bill the Lizard Aug 3 '11 at 18:01
Dmckee thinks people who do that are pretentious jerks. – dmckee Aug 3 '11 at 18:08
there are also people talking like that in their daily conversation? In my native language they would sound cute to talk with others that way – StackUnderblow Aug 3 '11 at 23:31
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Ed suggests the word is illeism.

Ed is an illeist.

share|improve this answer
BoltClock agrees. – BoltClock Aug 3 '11 at 18:00
splattne upvoted you. – splattne Aug 3 '11 at 18:00
So perhaps is this commenter, who can't help thinking Ed may have posted this question after reading what looks to me like a somewhat fanciful Wikipedia entry. – FumbleFingers Aug 3 '11 at 18:00
@z7sg So make it better? – Ed Guiness Aug 3 '11 at 19:09
I think you could get more upvotes if you fleshed this out, but I learned a new word from your answer – simchona Aug 3 '11 at 20:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.