English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word or a short phrase to describe the action of pushing a chair under a table?

share|improve this question
Why the downvotes? Defenestration is a word that describes the act of throwing something out of a window...seems rather specific, so why not this? – lux May 6 at 18:29

It's referred to as pushing in your chair.

share|improve this answer
Wouldnt it be a Kinetic Seating Device Action? – Chad Aug 1 '11 at 20:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.