English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm designing a software to receive requests from users. In my request detail window, I have a field called "Requested By" to store the name of the person who made the request. However, "Requested By" is very hard to use in a message such as:

"Do you really want to send an email to the requested by?"

I'm looking for a noun to replace "requested by". So, my question is: What do you call someone who makes a request?

The requester, the initiator...

I have already rejected "Applicant" because in my case the user is not applying; he is requesting.

share|improve this question
up vote 15 down vote accepted

I would go with "requestor" because they are making a request.

Other phrases used for similar concepts in some of the various software tools installed on my workstation: "originator" (but it applies generally, in a system that has more than just "requests"), "creator", "initiator".

share|improve this answer
I completely disagree. Requester may be a word but in my view it's not in common usage. Go with something longer if possible. – Alan Jul 25 '11 at 20:09
@Alan: I've seen it in a number of different software systems, which is what the OP is asking about. The most recent I recall is BMC Remedy, and it uses it in a manner similar to what I understand the OP wants to do. – FrustratedWithFormsDesigner Jul 25 '11 at 20:22
@Alan - In a business environment, "requestor" is quite common. However, I can't find this form of the word (or "requester") in any dictionary other than the free dictionary. Anyone else have any luck? – Neil Fein Jul 25 '11 at 22:08
Google Ngrams says that requester is now just as common as supplicant, which is definitely an English word (albeit somewhat outdated). I'd say go ahead and use "requester." – Peter Shor Jul 25 '11 at 23:31

If you are not limited in space, you could use

Do you really want to send an email to the person who made the request?

Otherwise, requester is an acceptable English word to express this same thing.

share|improve this answer

For this context, might you be able to get away with user, customer, or client?

share|improve this answer

Depending on your context, you can use Requester or Requestor

share|improve this answer

In diplomatic terms, the word is a demandeur.

share|improve this answer

Solicitant – a generic name for a person who makes a request. Rarely used in English.

share|improve this answer

For this context, might you be able to get away with inquirer.

share|improve this answer

In French one would say "suppliant" translated supplicant.

share|improve this answer
In this case the French does not translate well; "supplicant" has a very definite meaning beyond just "one who asks". (Specifically, it is "a person who asks for something in a respectful way from a powerful person or God", according to m-w.com.) – Hellion Apr 18 '15 at 14:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.