English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a word for someone that owns a media house? Can I call him a proprietor?

share|improve this question
What do you mean by media house? This phase has no meaning to me. – Matt E. Эллен Jul 28 '11 at 9:27

In the great days of newspapers, owners of the like of Northcliffe, Beaverbrook and Rothermere were called press barons.

share|improve this answer
And the owners of large breweries were called the beerage. – TimLymington Sep 7 '11 at 12:49

I think a term that is sometimes used is "media mogul." At least that's how people describe Rupert Murdoch in the U.S.

share|improve this answer

Proprietor is definitely used for someone who owns a newspaper or magazine. I don't think it would be used for the owner of a TV station, though.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.