English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can 'revert' be used as a synonym of 'reply'?

Is it correct English to refer to replying to someone or giving feedback as "reverting back"? People in my workplace are using that term more and more. It sounds completely wrong to me.

Here are some examples:

  • We will investigate and revert back as soon as possible.
  • Will reschedule and revert back!
  • Please let me know who will be able to go and who won’t by COB tomorrow so that I can revert back to her.
share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by z7sg Ѫ, RegDwigнt Jul 19 '11 at 12:29

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Related: Can 'revert' be used as a synonym of 'reply'? – Tragicomic Jul 19 '11 at 10:24
I'd say it's a duplicate of that. – Matt E. Эллен Jul 19 '11 at 11:15

I have observed this usage among speakers of Indian English, wherein it appears to be normal.

AFAIK it is unknown in other varieties of English.

share|improve this answer
I'd have to dispute the use of the word 'normal' and replace it with 'common', normal implies some kind of acceptance to me ;) "Revert" in place of "Reply" is just plain wrong and needs to be stamped out! – Lazarus Jul 19 '11 at 11:44
On what grounds, Lazarus, do you presume to say what is "right" or "wrong" in Indian English? – Colin Fine Jul 19 '11 at 17:07
I appreciate that I hadn't noticed your explicit reference to Indian English so it may be wrong of me to say that it's wrong in that context. That said, I can't seem to find any official statement regarding "Indian English" as a formal language, the documentation I can find seems to list Hindi and English as the common languages of the Indian Union, not Indian English. Accepting that "Revert to me" is a local idiom in India does not make it correct English but I concede your point to avoid further pedantry. – Lazarus Jul 27 '11 at 11:33
You probably won't find an official document mentioning British English, American English, Canadian English, Australian English, New Zealand English, Singapore English, Jamaican English, South African English or any other varieties in their respective polities. So what? – Colin Fine Jul 27 '11 at 13:04
"So what?" Who cares? – Lazarus Aug 2 '11 at 13:59

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.