English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's a French expression that means "ascribing negative intentions to someone with no factual base" (prêter des intentions). It's practical, as the English sentence "stop ascribing negative intentions to me based on your interpretation of my words" is quite a long way to say something that is quite simple in some other languages.

Is there any similar expression in English?

share|improve this question
The French surely have a je ne sais quoi with words ;) – Adel Jul 18 '11 at 17:34
up vote 2 down vote accepted

A person who derives an interpretation incorrectly, or from ambiguous data without seeking clarification, is jumping to conclusions.

A person who does it intentionally is maligning or impugning (thanks, @TheRaven).

share|improve this answer

The word "impugn" functions that way:

"Stop impugning my words."

To a certain extent, "mischaracterize" and "misjudge" have a similar nuance.

share|improve this answer

For words, "putting words in my/your mouth".. otherwise, I think distrustful fits. But also faultfinding or even cynical?

The word pessimist may work too, but generally.

share|improve this answer

I can suggest the word insinuate in terms of "implying a negative or unspoken fact"

b : to impart or suggest in an artful or indirect way : imply

I resent what you're insinuating

A phrase for you is "twisting my words"

twist someone's words (around)

to restate someone's words inaccurately; to misrepresent what someone has said.

Stop twisting my words around! Listen to what I am telling you! You are twisting my words again. That is not what I said!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.